Workspace ONE Access Migration Tool
Release Date: February 16, 2021
Workspace ONE Access Migration Tool helps ease migration of Apps from one WS1 Access tenant to another (on-premises to SaaS or SaaS to SaaS) and use cases that require mirroring one tenant to another (for setting up UAT from PROD or vice versa) by providing capabilities listed below
- Copying of App Categories
- Migrating Weblinks (3rd party IDP), icons as is
- Creating a link to federated apps and copying the icons (to maintain the same user experience)
- Copying App Assignment to a Category mapping
- Windows Operating System
- .NET framework 4.6.2
- WS1 Access On-Premises or SaaS
- Administrator account for Identity Manager Tenant (Export and Import)
Instructions with Video can also be found in my blog - here
Once downloaded, you can extract into a folder to then run the application - the fling is a C# Windows Forms app app. As you launch, you’ll see two sections - to the left is the section for source tenant and to the right will be the section for destination tenant. The goal is to move or copy objects from the source to destination.
Remember this is a fling and I’ve prioritized utility over experience.
Provide the https url for your Workspace ONE Access tenant - for example -
https://access.lab.comNOTE: Tenant must have a valid SSL certificate or the connection will fail
- Provide the credentials for your tenant - this should be the local system domain account with administrative privileges
- Clicking on Login with the proper credentials should log you in
Upon logging in, the
Get Categoriesfeatures are “unlocked”
Get Categoriesfor the tenant that you are logged in, will fetch all the Categories on that tenant. The categories will be listed in the dropdown right next to the
Choosing the type of App (SAML, Weblink etc) and Clicking on
Get Appsfor the tenant that you are logged in, will fetch all the corresponding type of App on that tenant. The Apps will be listed in the table at the bottom of the App.
To facilitate a smooth migration for apps and to retain all the category to app mapping, you’ll want to copy the Categories from the source tenant to the destination tenant.
- To Migrate Categories, please login to the destination tenant as well
Once you’ve logged in to the destination tenant, the
Copy Categoriesbutton will be activated
Copy Categoriesto migrate all the categories from the source to the destination tenant
Categories are unique by name and in case of conflicts only the unique ones are created in the new tenant (not sure about how upper vs lower case is handled within WS1 Access)
Once you are able to view the Apps from the source tenant, the
Export Appsare also enabled. This action will prompt you to choose a folder to export the App metadata.
- Upon choosing the Folder location, the apps that were selected will be exported as zip files (one zip per app)
- The Apps are exported into appropriate folders that represent their categories (Web App, SAML2.0, WSFED, SAML1.0)
Exporting the Apps will further enable the
Copy Web Apps,
Link SAML2.0 Apps,
Link WSFed Apps,
Link SAML1.0 Appsand
Copy App to Category Assignmentactions that can be performed on the destination tenant
This is the crux of this whole Fling which enables you to migrate Apps to the destination Access tenant
Copy Web Appswill prompt for the folder path that you can choose to import the apps from.
- The Fling will try to find a web apps folder and import the apps into the destination tenant
Link SAML2.0 Apps,
Link WSFed Apps,
Link SAML1.0 Appswill prompt for the folder path that you can choose to import the apps from.
- The Fling will try to find apps from the appropriate folder and import them into the destination tenant
PRE-REQs - All the categories must be present in the destination tenant
Copy App to Category Assignmentwill attempt to match the app categorization in the source tenant to the destination tenant