vSphere Software Asset Management Tool
Release Date: October 18, 2019
The vSphere Software Asset Management (vSAM) is a tool that collects and summarizes vSphere product deployment information. It calls on vSphere APIs for deployment data and produces a PDF report that the customer can consult as a part of their infrastructure review and planning process. This lightweight Java application runs on Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
- Support both vCenter Server cluster and Standalone ESXi host with a version of vSphere 5.5, 6.X or newer.
- Generate comprehensive report from various aspects:
- High-level product deployment summary
- Product deployment report by targets (standalone ESXi or VC cluster)
- High level license key usage report
- License key usage by targets
- Provide Software Asset Management suggestions on:
- Evaluation license warning
- License term
- Pre-expiration 90 days warning
- Expiration alert
- License capacity
- Potential capacity waste warning based on customized threshold
- Potential capacity shortage warning based on customized threshold
- Capacity over-use alert
- Product support
- End of General Support info
- General Support pre-expiration 90 days warning
- Unsupported product alert
- Protect customer sensitive information by:
- Collecting minimal set of information relative with Software Asset Management
- Masking sensitive info in the report
- Supporting encryption of raw data file
- Support merging multi reports into one report
- Support English and Chinese report
- Support customization of report
Below shows an example report generated by the tool based on customer specified vCenter Servers and standalone ESXi hosts.
- Windows, Linux or Mac OS
- Java 1.8
- Download the vSAM package from this website. Unzip the package to a directory.
- Go to that directory and run the tool by invoking “vsam COMMAND [arguments]”. For example, “vsam help” show the usage.
- Prepare a target file which contains necessary information of the vCenter servers or standalone ESXi hosts to be scanned. Here is an example of the target file:
VC,Dev vCenter 1,10.1.2.140,mylabs.local\user1,
VC,Prod vCenter 9,production-vc1.vmware.com,mylabs.local\user1,
ESX,Standalone ESX 8,test-esx8.vmware.com,read-only-user1,password1
- Invoke “vsam collect” to collect data and generate a report based on the target file.
To get more detailed usage information of this tool, please read the User Guide document from this website.
Version 1.4 Update
- Added an output file in JSON format. This JSON file has the same data as the tables in the PDF file, but more friendly for programming access.
- Added a work-around to run this tool with Java versions higher than 8. Check the user guide for more details.
- Support target files without the header line.
Version 1.3 Update
- Show Tanzu products in the report.
- Bug fixes.
Version 1.2 Update
- Show vSAN product information in the report.
- Show unmasked license keys in the report as an option.
- Add a License Inventory Table in the report.
Added vSphere 7.0 support; Added the Host Inventory Table in the generated software asset management report.
- Minor wording update to the generated software asset management report.