The vSphere Software Asset Management (vSAM) is a tool that collects and summarizes vSphere product deployment information. It calls on vSphere APIs for deployment data and produces a PDF report that the customer can consult as a part of their infrastructure review and planning process. This lightweight Java application runs on Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
- Support both vCenter Server cluster and Standalone ESXi host with a version of vSphere 5.5, 6.X or newer.
- Generate comprehensive report from various aspects:
- High-level product deployment summary
- Product deployment report by targets (standalone ESXi or VC cluster)
- High level license key usage report
- License key usage by targets
- Provide Software Asset Management suggestions on:
- Evaluation license warning
- License term
- Pre-expiration 90 days warning
- Expiration alert
- License capacity
- Potential capacity waste warning based on customized threshold
- Potential capacity shortage warning based on customized threshold
- Capacity over-use alert
- Product support
- End of General Support info
- General Support pre-expiration 90 days warning
- Unsupported product alert
- Protect customer sensitive information by:
- Collecting minimal set of information relative with Software Asset Management
- Masking sensitive info in the report
- Supporting encryption of raw data file
- Support merging multi reports into one report
- Support English and Chinese report
- Support customization of report
Below shows an example report generated by the tool based on customer specified vCenter Servers and standalone ESXi hosts.
- Windows, Linux or Mac OS
- Java 1.8
- Download the vSAM package from this website. Unzip the package to a directory.
- Go to that directory and run the tool by invoking “vsam COMMAND [arguments]”. For example, “vsam help” show the usage.
- Prepare a target file which contains necessary information of the vCenter servers or standalone ESXi hosts to be scanned. Here is an example of the target file:
VC,Dev vCenter 1,10.1.2.140,mylabs.local\user1,
VC,Prod vCenter 9,production-vc1.vmware.com,mylabs.local\user1,
ESX,Standalone ESX 8,test-esx8.vmware.com,read-only-user1,password1
- Invoke “vsam collect” to collect data and generate a report based on the target file.
To get more detailed usage information of this tool, please read the User Guide document from this website.
Version 1.4 Update
- Added an output file in JSON format. This JSON file has the same data as the tables in the PDF file, but more friendly for programming access.
- Added a work-around to run this tool with Java versions higher than 8. Check the user guide for more details.
- Support target files without the header line.
Version 1.3 Update
- Show Tanzu products in the report.
- Bug fixes.
Version 1.2 Update
- Show vSAN product information in the report.
- Show unmasked license keys in the report as an option.
- Add a License Inventory Table in the report.
Added vSphere 7.0 support; Added the Host Inventory Table in the generated software asset management report.
- Minor wording update to the generated software asset management report.
This Fling supports the most popular USB network adapter chipsets found in the market.
DRS Lens is an attempt to provide a UI-based solution to help understand DRS better.