The vSAN Hardware Compatibility List Checker is a tool that verifies the installed hardware components of the ESXi server against the VMware compatibility guide for vSAN.
The check items are various from vSAN configurations.
vSAN (Original Storage Architecture)
- Storage adapters
vSAN ESA (Express Storage Architecture)
- Storage adapters
- Physical NIC link speed
- Host memory size
- Using a supported storage controller and firmware is important in a vSAN deployment to ensure normal operations, optimal performance, and to reduce the chances of hardware/firmware issues. This tool can be useful to ensure that a storage device and its firmware went through certification testing supported by VMware and its partners.
Physical NIC link speed
- vSAN ESA recommends minimum aggregated network link of 25 Gbps. You can consider multiple NICs to achieve this minimum aggregated speed requirement.
Host memory size
- The minimum required memory for vSAN ESA Host is 32 GB.
Some scenarios where the tool can be useful:
- Verify if a new server is supported for vSAN hardware compatibility list before installing vSAN.
- Verify if a re-purposed server is supported for vSAN hardware compatibility list before installing vSAN.
This tool only helps to verify compatibility from hardware perspective. For a full vSAN system check, please check vSAN health UI through vSphere web client after a vSAN deployment. Please provide your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windows: 7, 8, 10, 11, Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019
- Linux: CentOS, Ubuntu and RHEL
- Browser: Edge, Chrome, Opera and Firefox
- ESXi: From 6.5 to 8.0
- HTTPS/443 access to ESXi hosts (interacting with hostd)
- Internet HTTP/80 access to http://partnerweb.vmware.com/service/vsan/all.json (optional)
- Extract the contents and double-click on hclCheck.exe
hclCheck [-h] [--hostname hostname [hostname ...]] [--username USERNAME] [--password PASSWORD] [--hcl-url HCL_URL] Check ESXi host against VSAN HCL optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --hostname hostname [hostname ...] Hostname/IP of ESXi host --username USERNAME Username (default: root) --password PASSWORD Password --hcl-url HCL_URL URL to VSAN HCL DB (http://path/to/hcl.db or file:///C:/path/to/hcl.db)
- Support hardware compatibility check for vSAN ESA since ESXi 8.0
- A new summary table to see which devices are compatible with vSAN and vSAN ESA in the report
- Report layout improvement
- Bug fixes
- Support multi-platforms for Windows, Linux and MacOS
- Bug fixed
- Fixed the bug that firmware version of some controllers can't be fetched
- Add 3 new checks
- Controller is VMware certified for ESXi release
- Controller driver is VMware certified
- Controller firmware is VMware certified
- Update HTML report format
- Bug fixes
HCIBench stands for "Hyper-converged Infrastructure Benchmark". It's essentially an automation wrapper around the popular and proven VDbench open source benchmark tool that makes it easier to automate testing across a HCI cluster.
vSAN Performance Monitor
The vSAN performance monitor is a monitoring and visualization tool based on vSAN Performance metrics.