vSAN Hardware Compatibility List Checker
The vSAN Hardware Compatibility List Checker is a tool that verifies all installed storage adapters against the vSAN supported storage controller list. The tool will verify if the model, driver and firmware version of the storage adapter are supported.
Using a supported storage controller and firmware is important in a vSAN deployment to ensure normal operations, optimal performance, and to reduce the chances of hardware/firmware issues. This tool can be useful to ensure that a storage device and its firmware went through certification testing supported by VMware and its partners.
Some scenarios where the tool can be useful:
- Verify if new server and storage adapter are supported for a vSAN deployment
- Verify if re-purposed server, storage adapter are supported for a vSAN deployment
For a full vSAN system check, please check vSAN health UI through vSphere web client after a vSAN deployment.
- Windows: 7, 8, 10, Server 2008, 2012, 2016
- Browser: IE 8+, Chrome and Firefox
- HTTPS/443 access to ESXi hosts (interacting with hostd)
- Internet HTTP/80 access to http://partnerweb.vmware.com/service/vsan/all.json (optional)
ESXi Host Requirements
- ESXi 5.1.x, 5.5.x, 6.x are supported
- Direct access to the hostd service with username and password
- Vendor firmware tool should be installed for firmware version validation (for the latest version, it supports storcli, perccli, hpssacli, sasXflash, isdct, esxcli-nvme, rssdm)
- Extract the contents and double-click on hclCheck.exe
hclCheck [-h] [--hostname hostname [hostname ...]] [--username USERNAME] [--password PASSWORD] [--hcl-url HCL_URL] Check ESXi host against VSAN HCL optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --hostname hostname [hostname ...] Hostname/IP of ESXi host --username USERNAME Username (default: root) --password PASSWORD Password --hcl-url HCL_URL URL to VSAN HCL DB (http://path/to/hcl.db or file:///C:/path/to/hcl.db)
- Fixed the bug that firmware version of some controllers can't be fetched
- Add 3 new checks
- Controller is VMware certified for ESXi release
- Controller driver is VMware certified
- Controller firmware is VMware certified
- Update HTML report format
- Bug fixes