The vSAN Hardware Compatibility List Checker is a tool that verifies the installed hardware components of the ESXi server against the VMware compatibility guide for vSAN.
The check items are various from vSAN configurations.
vSAN (Original Storage Architecture)
- Storage adapters
vSAN ESA (Express Storage Architecture)
- Storage adapters
- Physical NIC link speed
- Host memory size
- Using a supported storage controller and firmware is important in a vSAN deployment to ensure normal operations, optimal performance, and to reduce the chances of hardware/firmware issues. This tool can be useful to ensure that a storage device and its firmware went through certification testing supported by VMware and its partners.
Physical NIC link speed
- vSAN ESA recommends minimum aggregated network link of 25 Gbps. You can consider multiple NICs to achieve this minimum aggregated speed requirement.
Host memory size
- The minimum required memory for vSAN ESA Host is 32 GB.
Some scenarios where the tool can be useful:
- Verify if a new server is supported for vSAN hardware compatibility list before installing vSAN.
- Verify if a re-purposed server is supported for vSAN hardware compatibility list before installing vSAN.
This tool only helps to verify compatibility from hardware perspective. For a full vSAN system check, please check vSAN health UI through vSphere web client after a vSAN deployment. Please provide your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windows: 7, 8, 10, 11, Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019
- Linux: CentOS, Ubuntu and RHEL
- Browser: Edge, Chrome, Opera and Firefox
- ESXi: From 6.5 to 8.0
- HTTPS/443 access to ESXi hosts (interacting with hostd)
- Internet HTTP/80 access to (optional)
- Extract the contents and double-click on hclCheck.exe
hclCheck [-h] [--hostname hostname [hostname ...]] [--username USERNAME] [--password PASSWORD] [--hcl-url HCL_URL] Check ESXi host against VSAN HCL optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --hostname hostname [hostname ...] Hostname/IP of ESXi host --username USERNAME Username (default: root) --password PASSWORD Password --hcl-url HCL_URL URL to VSAN HCL DB (http://path/to/hcl.db or file:///C:/path/to/hcl.db)
- Support hardware compatibility check for vSAN ESA since ESXi 8.0
- A new summary table to see which devices are compatible with vSAN and vSAN ESA in the report
- Report layout improvement
- Bug fixes
- Support multi-platforms for Windows, Linux and MacOS
- Bug fixed
- Fixed the bug that firmware version of some controllers can't be fetched
- Add 3 new checks
- Controller is VMware certified for ESXi release
- Controller driver is VMware certified
- Controller firmware is VMware certified
- Update HTML report format
- Bug fixes
HCIBench stands for "Hyper-converged Infrastructure Benchmark". It's essentially an automation wrapper around the popular and proven VDbench open source benchmark tool that makes it easier to automate testing across a HCI cluster.
The vSAN performance monitor is a monitoring and visualization tool based on vSAN Performance metrics.
Compared to existing analyzers, our tool decodes more details on vSAN DOM and LSOM, such as type and status distribution, going beyond hardware information and deep into DOM objects.