This Fling is a vSphere Appliance that contains the Folding@Home client software. Upon deploying the VMware Appliance for Folding@Home, the user will be prompted to enter information to configure the Folding@Home software. Once the appliance is deployed, the Folding@Home client is running and ready for Working Units. The Fling is also pre-configured to allow remote management of the Folding@Home client. For more information on the Folding@Home Project and how we can be a Force for Good against diseases like the Coronavirus, visit the website www.foldingathome.org.
The Folding@Home Appliance is configured to automatically join Team VMware ID 52737. Everyone is welcome to join! Check out http://vmwa.re/fah for team and individual statistics.
More details about this project, please check out this VMware OCTO blog post & Check out her most recent blog post at VMworld 2020 as a Keynote Speaker with a behind the scenes look at Folding@Home
- Deployment Options:
- vCenter Server 6.0 or greater
- Standalone ESXi 6.0 or greater (requires OVFTool, please refer to PDF deployment guide)
- Fusion or Workstation
- 2 vCPU and 1GB memory
- Support for Virtual Hardware 11
Recommend 16 vCPU or greater to ensure that you consistently receive FAH Work Units and update memory to 4GB
- CPU and/or GPU is supported. For those GPUs, vGPU via NVIDIA GRID has been documented and additional setup instructions can be found in the Fling download drop down menu.
- External (Internet)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 8080 or 80 to receive and upload Workload Unit (Please see Folding @ Home Documentation for a complete list of servers for security allowlisting)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 36330 for remote management of FAHClient using FAHControl Center
- Inbound/Outbound on port 7396 for local web management of FAHClient using FAH Web Control(e.g. http://[FAH]:7396)
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.21
May 6, 2020 - v1.0.4
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.13
April 17, 2020 - v1.0.3
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.8
- Add OVF property (guestinfo.fah_next_unit_percentage) to control Workload Unit Percentage (default value of 90)
April 1, 2020 - v1.0.2
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.5.1
- Add OVF DeploymentOption (Small, Medium and Large) to help simplify initial configuration including optimal memory setting for 16 vCPU
- SSH is now deactivated by default (can be enabled during OVF deployment)
March 23, 2020 - v1.0.1
- Support for VMware Fusion and Workstation
- Support for vHW 11
- Automatic detection of CPU >= 16 and configuration of "bigadv" in config.xml (during initial setup and upon each reboot)
- Fixed HTTP Proxy configuration required in config.xml
- ClientIdentifier for DHCP has been update to use MAC Address preventing issues when cloning from powered on FAH Appliance
- Updated Setup Instructions, FAQ and vGPU configuration using NVIDIA GRID
March 20, 2020 - v1.0.0 (Initial Release)
No similar flings found. Check these out instead...
OpenAPI interface for vSphere
In this Fling, a new wire protocol is designed as an alternative to SOAP/XML. The new protocol is based on JSON and adhering to the industry-standard OpenAPI specification. The traditional API model is fully supported, allowing exposure of all existing APIs.
Power vRA Cloud
PowervRACloud is a PowerShell module that abstracts the VMware vRealize Automation Cloud APIs to a set of easily used PowerShell functions. This tool provides a comprehensive command line environment for managing your VMware vRealize Automation Cloud environment.
Kubewise is a simple multi-platform desktop client for Kubernetes®.
VMware Cloud Foundation Powernova
VMware Cloud Foundation Powernova is a Fling built on top of VCF that provides the users the ability to perform Power Operations (Power ON, Power OFF) seamlessly across the entire inventory. It has a sleek UI to visualize the entire VCF inventory (which is the first of its kind for VCF) across the domains of VCF.
Druid 4G-5G core deployment automation on vSphere
Automate Druid Software 4G/5G core application on VMware stack using terraform script
Site Recovery Manager Mobile
Site Recovery Manager is a business continuity and disaster recovery solution that helps you plan, test and run the recovery of virtual machines.