VMware Appliance for Folding@Home
This Fling is a vSphere Appliance that contains the Folding@Home client software. Upon deploying the VMware Appliance for Folding@Home, the user will be prompted to enter information to configure the Folding@Home software. Once the appliance is deployed, the Folding@Home client is running and ready for Working Units. The Fling is also pre-configured to allow remote management of the Folding@Home client. For more information on the Folding@Home Project and how we can be a Force for Good against diseases like the Coronavirus, visit the website www.foldingathome.org.
The Folding@Home Appliance is configured to automatically join Team VMware ID 52737. Everyone is welcome to join!
More details about this project, please check out this VMware OCTO blog post
- Deployment Options:
- vCenter Server 6.0 or greater
- Standalone ESXi 6.0 or greater (requires OVFTool, please refer to PDF deployment guide)
- Fusion or Workstation
- 2 vCPU and 1GB memory
- Support for Virtual Hardware 11
Recommend 16 vCPU or greater to ensure that you consistently receive FAH Work Units and update memory to 4GB
- CPU and/or GPU is supported. For those GPUs, vGPU via NVIDIA GRID has been documented and additional setup instructions can be found in the Fling download drop down menu.
- External (Internet)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 8080 or 80 to receive and upload Workload Unit (Please see Folding @ Home Documentation for a complete list of servers for security whitelisting)
Detailed setup documents and FAQs are located in the download drop down menu.
- Support for VMware Fusion and Workstation
- Support for vHW 11
- Automatic detection of CPU >= 16 and configuration of "bigadv" in config.xml (during initial setup and upon each reboot)
- Fixed HTTP Proxy configuration required in config.xml
- ClientIdentifier for DHCP has been update to use MAC Address preventing issues when cloning from powered on FAH Appliance
- Updated Setup Instructions, FAQ and vGPU configuration using NVIDIA GRID
March 20, 2020 - v1.0.0 (Initial Release)