VMware Appliance for Folding@Home
Release Date: March 19, 2020
This Fling is a vSphere Appliance that contains the Folding@Home client software. Upon deploying the VMware Appliance for Folding@Home, the user will be prompted to enter information to configure the Folding@Home software. Once the appliance is deployed, the Folding@Home client is running and ready for Working Units. The Fling is also pre-configured to allow remote management of the Folding@Home client. For more information on the Folding@Home Project and how we can be a Force for Good against diseases like the Coronavirus, visit the website www.foldingathome.org.
The Folding@Home Appliance is configured to automatically join Team VMware ID 52737. Everyone is welcome to join! Check out http://vmwa.re/fah for team and individual statistics.
- Deployment Options:
- vCenter Server 6.0 or greater
- Standalone ESXi 6.0 or greater (requires OVFTool, please refer to PDF deployment guide)
- Fusion or Workstation
- 2 vCPU and 1GB memory
- Support for Virtual Hardware 11
Recommend 16 vCPU or greater to ensure that you consistently receive FAH Work Units and update memory to 4GB
- CPU and/or GPU is supported. For those GPUs, vGPU via NVIDIA GRID has been documented and additional setup instructions can be found in the Fling download drop down menu.
- External (Internet)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 8080 or 80 to receive and upload Workload Unit (Please see Folding @ Home Documentation for a complete list of servers for security whitelisting)
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.21
May 6, 2020 - v1.0.4
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.13
April 17, 2020 - v1.0.3
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.8
- Add OVF property (guestinfo.fah_next_unit_percentage) to control Workload Unit Percentage (default value of 90)
April 1, 2020 - v1.0.2
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.5.1
- Add OVF DeploymentOption (Small, Medium and Large) to help simplify initial configuration including optimal memory setting for 16 vCPU
- SSH is now disabled by default (can be enabled during OVF deployment)
March 23, 2020 - v1.0.1
- Support for VMware Fusion and Workstation
- Support for vHW 11
- Automatic detection of CPU >= 16 and configuration of "bigadv" in config.xml (during initial setup and upon each reboot)
- Fixed HTTP Proxy configuration required in config.xml
- ClientIdentifier for DHCP has been update to use MAC Address preventing issues when cloning from powered on FAH Appliance
- Updated Setup Instructions, FAQ and vGPU configuration using NVIDIA GRID
March 20, 2020 - v1.0.0 (Initial Release)
No similar flings found. Check these out instead...
VMware Endpoint Operations Agent Upgrade Kit
VMware Endpoint Operations Agent Upgrade kit upgrades your EPO agents registered to vRealize operations Manager (vR Ops) and whose collection state is "Collecting". This kit has the necessary bundles to upgrade the EPO agents of all flavors like Linux and Windows, and also both 32 and 64 bit agents. This kit will upgrade the agents of version 6.2.1 or 6.3 to 6.4.0 in a single node setup.