This Fling is a vSphere Appliance that contains the Folding@Home client software. Upon deploying the VMware Appliance for Folding@Home, the user will be prompted to enter information to configure the Folding@Home software. Once the appliance is deployed, the Folding@Home client is running and ready for Working Units. The Fling is also pre-configured to allow remote management of the Folding@Home client. For more information on the Folding@Home Project and how we can be a Force for Good against diseases like the Coronavirus, visit the website www.foldingathome.org.
The Folding@Home Appliance is configured to automatically join Team VMware ID 52737. Everyone is welcome to join! Check out http://vmwa.re/fah for team and individual statistics.
More details about this project, please check out this VMware OCTO blog post & Check out her most recent blog post at VMworld 2020 as a Keynote Speaker with a behind the scenes look at Folding@Home
- Deployment Options:
- vCenter Server 6.0 or greater
- Standalone ESXi 6.0 or greater (requires OVFTool, please refer to PDF deployment guide)
- Fusion or Workstation
- 2 vCPU and 1GB memory
- Support for Virtual Hardware 11
Recommend 16 vCPU or greater to ensure that you consistently receive FAH Work Units and update memory to 4GB
- CPU and/or GPU is supported. For those GPUs, vGPU via NVIDIA GRID has been documented and additional setup instructions can be found in the Fling download drop down menu.
- External (Internet)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 8080 or 80 to receive and upload Workload Unit (Please see Folding @ Home Documentation for a complete list of servers for security allowlisting)
- Inbound/Outbound on port 36330 for remote management of FAHClient using FAHControl Center
- Inbound/Outbound on port 7396 for local web management of FAHClient using FAH Web Control(e.g. http://[FAH]:7396)
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.21
May 6, 2020 - v1.0.4
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.13
April 17, 2020 - v1.0.3
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.6.8
- Add OVF property (guestinfo.fah_next_unit_percentage) to control Workload Unit Percentage (default value of 90)
April 1, 2020 - v1.0.2
- F@H software has been updated to latest 7.5.1
- Add OVF DeploymentOption (Small, Medium and Large) to help simplify initial configuration including optimal memory setting for 16 vCPU
- SSH is now deactivated by default (can be enabled during OVF deployment)
March 23, 2020 - v1.0.1
- Support for VMware Fusion and Workstation
- Support for vHW 11
- Automatic detection of CPU >= 16 and configuration of "bigadv" in config.xml (during initial setup and upon each reboot)
- Fixed HTTP Proxy configuration required in config.xml
- ClientIdentifier for DHCP has been update to use MAC Address preventing issues when cloning from powered on FAH Appliance
- Updated Setup Instructions, FAQ and vGPU configuration using NVIDIA GRID
March 20, 2020 - v1.0.0 (Initial Release)
No similar flings found. Check these out instead...
vRealize Operations Export Tool
The vRealize Operations Export Tool allows users to extract and export metrics and properties from vRealize Operations.
HCIBench stands for "Hyper-converged Infrastructure Benchmark". It's essentially an automation wrapper around the popular and proven VDbench open source benchmark tool that makes it easier to automate testing across a HCI cluster.
Power vRA Cloud
PowervRACloud is a PowerShell module that abstracts the VMware vRealize Automation Cloud APIs to a set of easily used PowerShell functions. This tool provides a comprehensive command line environment for managing your VMware vRealize Automation Cloud environment.
ESXi Mac Learning dvFilter
This ESX extension adds functionality to ESX to support MAC-learning on vswitch ports. For most ESX use cases, MAC learning is not required as ESX knows exactly which MAC address will be used by a VM.
Horizon Collector for Mac
Horizon Collector for Mac automates the collection and archiving of Horizon View Client logs, eliminating the need to manually identify and gather relevant log files. Horizon Collector also simplifies the process for enabling complete DEBUG logging, and can upload the logs to VMware Support for you. In addition to the application logs, this script will collect PCoIP, USB, RTAV, and ThinPrint logs. Recommended users of this script: VDI Administrators and end-users alike.
Onyx is a standalone application that serves as a proxy between the vSphere Client and the vCenter Server. It monitors the network communication between them and translates it into an executable PowerShell code. Later this code could be modified and saved into a reusable function or script.