SDDC Import/Export for VMware Cloud on AWS
Release Date: January 12, 2021
The SDDC Import/Export for VMware Cloud on AWS tool enables you to save and restore your VMware Cloud on AWS (VMC) Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) networking and security configuration.
There are many situations when customers want to migrate from an existing SDDC to a different one. While HCX addresses the data migration challenge, this tool offers customers the ability to copy the configuration from a source to a destination SDDC.
A few example migration scenarios are:
- SDDC to SDDC migration from bare-metal (i3) to a different bare-metal type (i3en)
- SDDC to SDDC migration from VMware-based org to an AWS-based org
- SDDC to SDDC migration from region (i.e. London) to a different region (i.e. Dublin).
Other use cases are:
- Backups - save the entire SDDC configuration
- Lab purposes - customers or partners might want to deploy SDDCs with a pre-populated configuration.
- DR purposes - deploy a pre-populated configuration in conjunction with VMware Site Recovery or VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery
Contribute to this open source project here.
New 1.4 features: video link
Detailed instructions can be found on the Instructions tab, in the README.md included in the Zip file or on Patrick's blog (http://www.patrickkremer.com/sddc-import-export/).
Details about the use cases and origins of the project can be found on Nico's blog (https://nicovibert.com/2021/02/08/fling-sddc-import-export-for-vmware-cloud-on-aws/).
Please download the Installation_Instructions.pdf file.
- Corrects import bug on manual VM membership groups - this is now documented as unsupported and skipped during import operations
- Lambda instruction clarification added to docs
- Public Github repo now available at https://github.com/vmware-samples/sddc-import-export-for-vmware-cloud-on-aws
- New feature - on-prem NSX-T DFW configuration export, import into VMC on AWS
- New feature - on-prem vCenter folder structure export, import into VMC on AWS
- New feature - Indented JSON output for easier reading
- Bugfix - Bumped minimum Python version to the actual requirement of 3.6
- Bugfix - Fixed issue where the exception block of a try/except on GET calls errored
- Fixed import bug - services that don't have the L4 protocol field fail to import
- Regular expression import filters for CGW groups/firewall rules/network segments, and MGW groups/firewall rules
- Import/export support for local BGP ASN
- Added experimental support for sync mode
- Fixed L2VPN and IKE import bug
- Fixed display bug during DFW import
- Added GovCloud support
Demo Appliance for Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
A Virtual Appliance that pre-bundles all required dependencies to help customers in learning and deploying standalone Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG) clusters running on either VMware Cloud on AWS and/or vSphere 6.7 Update 3 environment for Proof of Concept, Demo and Dev/Test purposes.