Release Date: February 09, 2017
VMware IOInsight is a tool to help people understand a VM's storage I/O behavior. By understanding their VM's I/O characteristics, customers can make better decisions at storage capacity planning and performance tuning. IOInsight ships as a virtual appliance that can be deployed in any vSphere environment and an intuitive web-based UI allows users to choose VMDKs to monitor and view results.
Where does IOInsight help?
- Customers may better tune and size their storage
- When contacting VMware Support for any vSphere storage issues, including a report from IOInsight can help VMware Support better understand the issues and can potentially lead to faster resolutions.
- VMware Engineering can optimize products with better understanding of various customers' application behavior.
IOInsight captures I/O traces from ESXi and generates various aggregated metrics that represent the I/O behavior. The IOInsight report contains only these aggregated metrics and there is no sensitive information about the application itself. In addition to the built-in metrics computed by IOInsight, users can also write new analyzer plugins to IOInsight and visualize the results. A comprehensive SDK and development guide is included in the download bundle.
- 4vCPU and 2GB VM memory
- VM storage space: 2GB (can grow up to 16GB)
- vSphere 5.5 or above
- Recommended browsers: Chrome and Safari
- SSH should be enabled in ESX machines to be monitored
Detailed instructions are provided in the VMware IOinsight User Guide.pdf
IOInsight v1.1.1 - April 12, 2017
- Added option to download logs for troubleshooting
- Removed 'Send Logs' option as we were not receiving mails from external networks due to mailserver issue
- Fixed support for ESXi-5.5 which was broken in v1.1.0
- Minor changes in UI and logs
- Commandline utility to setup static IP / DHCP
- Option to set NTP servers
- Option in UI to send logs and results to IOInsight developers for troubleshooting
- Fixed VC login issues
- Handling of several special characters in VM name
- Improved correctness of IO-size histogram
- Better handling of monitoring VMDKs with very less I/Os
- Improved alert messages in UI and logs
- Improved graph visualizations
No similar flings found. Check these out instead...
VMware Guest Console (VGC) is an application to manage the Guest Operating Systems installed on a VM. VGC includes a Unified Task Manager, Guest file system explorer, Snapshot Manager and a VM Manager. VGC is supported with vmware server and desktop products like vSphere, Server 2.0 and Workstation and can connect to multiple hosts simultaneously.
Ultimate Test Appliance
GuestReclaim reclaims dead space from NTFS volumes hosted on a thin provisioned SCSI disk. The tool can also reclaim space from full disks and partitions, thereby wiping off the file systems on it. As the tool deals with active data, please take all precautionary measures understanding the SCSI UNMAP framework and backing up important data.