Ubuntu Desktop is the perfect Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) alternative to Windows for VDI Admins who are looking to move away from a Windows-centric desktop delivery. With an infrastructure utilizing VMware Horizon 7, this pre-packaged OVA aims to ease the setup and configuration of a Ubuntu Template VM, especially for Windows Admins that aren’t familiar with a Linux desktop.
Check out the project on GitHub: https://github.com/thatvirtualboy/horizon-linux-vm
Ubuntu Gnome in the Horizon Client (recommended)
Ubuntu + Plasma Desktop in the Horizon Client
Ubuntu + MATE Desktop in the Horizon Client
Preconfigured Ubuntu OVA
- Base image is Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS x64 built from mini.iso for minimal footprint
- VMware HW v14 (requires vSphere 6.7+)
- Configured for 2D Graphics Settings
- Default username/password is viewadmin/viewadmin
- The VM includes the optimize.sh script which configures VM to Best Practices per Horizon
- Documentation & joins the domain
- The VM includes the linux-agent-install.sh script to install the Horizon Agent and configure USB 3.0 Redirection
- Additional system tweaks and applications may be necessary for your needs.
- Due to licensing limitations, the Horizon Agent is NOT included in this OVA. It must be downloaded manually after completing the optimization script.
- Optional Developer Desktop Package
Requirements for 1.2
- User permissions to deploy OVA/OVF
- Optimization script requires VM to have network access
- VM must be able to resolve https://raw.githubusercontent.com
- Domain Admin privileges (if joining to the domain)
- vSphere 6.7 or later
- Horizon Connection Server 7.11 or later
- Horizon Client 5.3 or later
- Comprehensive list of System Requirements for Horizon 7 for Linux here
Instructions for v1.2
Please visit this GitHub page for deployment instructions.
- Special thanks to Robert Guske for testing & feedback
- Support for Horizon 7.11 and later
- Support for vSphere 6.7+
- Updated OVA base image to Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
- Updated Virtual Hardware to v14
- Added option to configure static networking
- Added support for USB 3.0 and USB Redirection (via linux-agent-installer.sh)
- Added KDE Desktop Environment Option
- Added Gnome Desktop Environment Option (recommended)
- Developer Desktop Package option
- Added Keyboard Layout Option
- Added option to enable SSH
- Removed runlevel 5 setting
- Fixed MOTD prompt code
- Disabled auto software updates
- Removed greeter modifications to support SSO
- Numerous improvements to script
- Script renamed to 'optimize.sh'
- MATE Only Release
- Increased vRAM to 128 MB instead of Automatic
- Removed Audio Device
- Updated default network device to VMXNET3
- Updated repository for open-vm-tools to Ubuntu repo
- Added Horizon 7.1 Agent Dependencies
- Updated Dependency packages for Ubuntu 16.04 on Horizon 7.1
- Agent installer script updated with Horizon 7.1 links
- Updated Media Codec packages for Ubuntu 16.04
- Updated MATE packages to Xenial
- More reliable domain join
- Password update optional
- Timezone update optional
- Option to change hostname
- Desktop addons optional
- Added retry attempts for failed wgets of smb and krb5 configuration files
- Renamed ‘horizon-linux-installer.sh’ to ‘linux-agent-installer.sh
The Horizon Helpdesk Utility is designed to be a tool used by real help desk agents.
VMware Horizon Session Recording allows administrators of a VMware Horizon environment record their users activity in their Blast Extreme virtual desktop and application sessions.
This tool connects to one or more existing Horizon View Event Database(s) and allows the user to customize which types of alerts to be notified on.