Please provide your feedback in this short Flings' survey.
Horizon DaaS Migration Tool
version 2.1.0 — June 25, 2019
Release Date: July 24, 2018
Horizon DaaS Migration Tool help migrating from earlier versions of Horizon DaaS (6.1.5, 6.1.6, 7.0.0) to the latest supported version (8.0.0). The tool can be used to move persistent desktop mappings from existing tenants to a newly provisioned tenant on 8.0.0. The migration is not an in-place migration and does require a parallel setup of VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0 to be available. The tool is a command line tool that must be run from a separate Ubuntu virtual machine.
Benefits of migrating to the latest Horizon DaaS version:
- VMware Horizon DaaS 6.1.5, 6.1.6 will run out of active support;
- Partners moving to VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0 will be able to upgrade to upcoming versions;
- VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0 offers a considerable upgrade in features, functionality, and security.
This tool supports the following scenarios:
- Migration of persistent tenant desktops and pools from VMware Horizon DaaS 6.1.x to VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0;
- Migration of persistent tenant desktops and pools from VMware Horizon DaaS 7.0.0 to VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0.
This tool does not yet support the following scenarios:
- Floating Desktops will not be migrated and need to be created separately by moving and updating the existing golden images and recreating the desktop pools in the new tenant;
- Migration of RDSH session hosts and Applications are not supported and should be handled in the same way as Floating Desktop pools by moving and updating the existing golden images, then recreating the pools;
- Multi Data Center functionality has been dropped temporarily in Horizon DaaS 8.0.0 and is not supported;
- Multi Desktop Managers per tenant are not supported.
1. Requirements for VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0:
- The destination Horizon DaaS Environment (based on VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0) needs to be set up on a different vCenter Server instance than the instance used for the source environment. The compatible component versions are in the Matrix given below;
- Network, Network Type and Active Directory for the new setup should be same as used in source side.
|Platform Components||VMware Horizon DaaS (6.1.6)||VMware Horizon DaaS (7.0.0)||VMware Horizon DaaS (8.0.0)|
|vCloud Usage Meter||3.6.1, 3.6.0, 3.5, 3.4||3.6.1, 3.6.0||NA|
|VMware Unified Access Gateway||2.8.1(VMware Access Point)||3.1||3.2.1, 3.2|
|VMware Horizon 7||6.0.1 - 6.2.6||6.2.5, 6.2.6, 7.0.2||7.3.2|
|VMware Horizon Clients||3.0.0 - 4.6.1||4.2.0 - 4.7.0||4.6.1, 4.7.0|
|NSX||6.3.4, 6.4.0||6.3.4, 6.4.0||6.3.5|
|VMware Tools||10.1.0 - 10.2.0||10.1.0 - 10.2.0||10.1.10, 10.2.5|
|vCenter||5.1 - 5.5 U3, 6.0.0, 6.0.0 U-1, 6.0.0 U-2||5.5 U-3, 6.0.0 U-2, 6.0 U-3||6.0 U-3, 6.5 U-1l|
|vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi)||5.X, 6.0.0, 6.0.0 U-1, 6.0.0 U-2||5.5 U-3, 6.0.0 U-2, 6.0 U-3||6.0 U-3, 6.5 U-1|
More info: Interoperability Matrix
2. Requirements for Jump Host(machine where export/import will be run from):
- It should be based on Ubuntu 16.04 as the operating system;
- It should have Python 2.7.12 installed;
- All the required python packages (requests, pyyaml, pyvim, pyvmomi, configobj, pyopenssl, xlwt, lxml, fabric=1.13.1) should have been installed;
- It should have network connectivity to source platform (DaaS 6.x/7.x) networks as well as destination platform (DaaS 8.0.0) networks;
- It should NOT be one of the existing management appliance machines.
Main steps needed to migrate a tenant from a 6.1.x/7.0.0 source to the 8.0.0 destination tenant:
- Setup the destination VMware Horizon DaaS 8.0.0 environment using a new vCenter Server instance;
- Export existing tenant metadata from the source DaaS environment using export.py;
- Transfer static desktop VMs and golden images from source vCenter to destination vCenter. This can best be done using the OVF tool (please refer to the documentation);
- Alternatively, the ESXi hosts of source tenant can be detached from the source vCenter and attached to destination vCenter;
- Create dedicated pools with zero capacity each in the destination DaaS tenant. The name of the pools should exactly match the source pool names;
- Import the earlier exported metadata using import.py;
- Run the agent upgrade script on static desktop VMs to upgrade agents to 8.0.0 compatible version;
- Alternatively, the required steps for agent upgrade (please refer to the documentation) can be done manually.
For detailed Steps, please refer to document VCPP_Dolomite_Migration available in Download section
Following changes were done as a part of v2:
- Added functionality for VMware tool upgrade;
- Added progress statistics;
- Added support for 32 bit VM;
- Added support for Windows 10, 7 and 8;
- Added resoulution for blank screen;
- Added logging enhancements.
Following changes were done as a part of v2.1:
- Fix for the bug on “Requested Capacity” at the pool/assignment summary page showing inappropriate values.
- Intelligently handling import of new VMs skipping previously imported VMs.